Certified Enterprise Architect (CEA) Black Belt Program
Winter 2018 Sessions
January 8 - March 27, 2018
Registration Open Until January 2
Certification through Demonstrated Competency
The FEAC Institute has been training and certifying Enterprise Architects since 2002 (read more). If you want to be the best... learn from the best!
Take your career to the next level with the coveted CEA (Certified Enterprise Architect) Black Belt certification in Enterprise Architecture. Whether you are brand new to EA, a Business Analyst needing a deeper understand of your Enterprise or a seasoned IT professional needing a refresher, our courses will broaden your understanding of Enterprise Architecture and modeling.
Designed to be practical and immediately applicable for working EAs, Business Analysts and IT Professionals, the FEAC Institute's world-renown certification programs are the longest running EA programs in the country. Only FEAC offers the CEA designation!
Live or totally online, we don't just prepare you to take a test. This is real, University-backed Enterprise Architecture and competency-based learning. You'll do a real practicum project and solve real problems in class.
What sets our program apart from all others is the demonstration of competency. Because our CEA program takes place over 3 months, we take the time with you to develop your EA skill and ensure that your are competent to do Enterprise Architecture. We don't just show you what models look like, you will gain experience creating them yourself inside a real life project. This course is not just an exercise in test preparation. In addition to world-class instruction, we will guide you through a real-life practicum project. You pick the project, the you and your team will develop the models and architecture to create the Architecture and solve real business problems in class. We also cover more technical aspects in the CEA program by introducing more advanced discussion topics such as Model Based System Engineering, Process Mining and the Unified Architecture Framework (UAF).
Finally, all of our curriculum is accredited by the California State University, so you can be sure that the rigor of the program, the curriculum and excellence are at the University level.
- Certification through Demonstrated Competency
- Real-life Practicum Project
- Hand's-on Learning
- "Flipped" Classrooms
- Advanced Discussion Topics
- Enterprise Anaylsis
- Live or Virtual
- University Accredited
Any education or certification in Enterprise Architecture needs to be grounded in both frameworks (i.e. Ontologies) and methodologies. We offer education in Enterprise Architecture that gives students broad exposure to the Enterprise Ontology and a range of framework and methodology choices with specialization in the Department of Defense Architecture Framework (DODAF) and the Federal Enterprise Architecture Framework (FEAF). Each of these Enterprise Architecture Frameworks have proven to have immediate applicability and impact in the private sector as well as the Federal space. FEAF and DoDAF are very powerful Frameworks and you don't have to be in Government to derive immediate EA impact from either of them!
Enterprise Architecture can be your personal, analytical tool to help you make important decisions about your organization. Learn how EA can give you the tools for analysis to:
- Interpret Business Needs
- Translate Technical Complexities
- Scope High-level Vision
- Be a Political Guide
- Identify, Model and Document Project Details and Requirements
- Test and Validate Requirements and Analysis Models
- Develop Teams
- Represent Project Stakeholders
- Identify and Model Process Requirements
- Identify and Model Data Requirements
- Identify Business Rules Requirements
- Identify Test Requirements and understand Analysis for Decision Making
- Learn to Manage Requirements and Joint Application Development
- Scope Projects
- Understand and write Use Cases
- Improve Business Processes
- Understand Technical Specifications
- Analyze Cost to Benefit
- Lead and Manage Projects
- ...and More!
From here, just pick your Enterprise Architecture track (Don't worry, if necessary, you can switch after class starts):
Black Belt in Enterprise Architecture using DoDAF Winter 2018 Sessions
January 8 - March 27, 2018
Self-Study opens January 8; however course registration is available up to one week prior to the 1st Instructor-Lead session.
Registration cut-off for DoDAF Winter is January 2, 2018.
Course Options, Dates and Locations:
1st Early Bird! Register by November 3rd and save 15% on Green Belt and Black Belt Certifications!
2nd Early Bird! Register by December 1st and save 10% on Green Belt and Black Belt Certifications!
Enterprise Architecture using DoDAF, CEA Black Belt Certification - $11,000
Note: the actual duration of session 1 and session 2 Cohort Engagements may vary depending on U.S. Federal Holiday and Faculty Availability. They may be longer or shorter by one week.
You will be given access to the FEAC Virtual University on January 8. There is required self-study and lecture to prepare you for class on January 23. We look forward to seeing you on January 23 at the UVA location (details below) or online, virtually on January 23 as well if you choose this option.
Need to split up your payment for fiscal year considerations? No problem! Just contact us to make arrangements.
Enterprise Architecture using DoDAF Description:
You don't have to be in Government or in Defense to derive the awesome benefits of this powerful, Enterprise Architecture Framework!
The Department of Defense Architecture Framework (DoDAF), Version 2.0 is the overarching, comprehensive framework and conceptual model enabling the development of architectures to facilitate the ability of managers at all levels to make key decisions more effectively through organized information sharing across the Organization, Joint Capability Areas (JCAs), Mission, Component, and Program boundaries. The DoDAF serves as one of the principal pillars supporting the DoD Chief Information Officer (CIO) in his responsibilities for development and maintenance of architectures required under the Clinger-Cohen Act. DoDAF is prescribed for the use and development of Architectural Descriptions and it also provides extensive guidance on the development of architectures supporting the adoption and execution of Net-centric services within the organization.
DoDAF V2.0 focuses on architectural "data", rather than on developing individual "products" as described in previous versions. In general, data can be collected, organized, and stored by a wide range of architecture tools developed by commercial sources. DoDAF V2.0 provides a Data Capture Method for each data group of the DM2 to guide architects in collecting and organizing the necessary architectural data.
The DoDAF enables architectural content that is "Fit-for-Purpose" as an architectural description consistent with specific project or mission objectives. Because the techniques of architectural description can be applied at myriad levels of an enterprise, the purpose or use of an architectural description at each level will be different in content, structure, and level of detail. Tailoring the architectural description development to address specific, well-articulated, and understood purposes, will help ensure the necessary data is collected at the appropriate level of detail to support specific decisions or objectives.
Visualizing architectural data is accomplished through models (e.g., the products described in previous versions of DoDAF). Models can be documents, spreadsheets, dashboards, or other graphical representations and serve as a template for organizing and displaying data in a more easily understood format. When data is collected and presented as a "filled-in" model, the result is called a view. Organized collections of views (often representing processes, systems, services, standards, etc.) are referred to as viewpoints, and with appropriate definitions are collectively called the Architectural Description.
DoDAF V2.0 also provides, but does not require, a methodology in architecture development call the 6-Step Architecture Development Process. It provides guidance and suggestions on how to ensure that other proposed methods can be adapted as needed to meet the requirements for data collection and storage. Similarly, the views presented in DoDAF are examples, intended to serve as a possible visualization of a particular view. DoDAF V2.0 also continues providing support for views (i.e., 'products' developed in previous versions of the Framework). These views do not require any particular graphical design by toolset vendors.
Black Belt Enterprise Architecture Certification using DoDAF (CEA) Syllabus
- We offer early bird discounts. See our Training Dates page for specific early bird pricing.
- After December 1, Government Employees are eligible to receive a $1000 discount for a total of $10,000 US on the DoDAF CEA Black Belt Course. You must have a valid Government email address.
- Discounts may not be combined.
- These courses are available as both in-seat, on location and now as a virtual, online session (more info)! (You have to be on-line at the same time as the other students are in class- but you can be in your pajamas!) Please select how you would like to take the course at registration.
- There are no prerequisites for any of the sessions. Some browse our resources and blog sections.
A few things you need to know:
- We start every day at 8:00 AM and will finish at about 4:30 PM Eastern Time.
- All class materials will be available to you for download from our Virtual University. You will receive access to that shortly.
- There is a wireless internet connection available but we ask you to refrain from surfing during class lectures.
- Dress is casual.
- The room number will be posted at the entrances of the Building.
- For lunch, restaurants are within walking distance and guidance will be provided. There is a nice Indian restaurant, a Starbucks, Baja Fresh and Subway across the street. There is also an eating area on the first floor by the elevators. There is a microwave there and vending machines that include coffee, cold drinks, sandwiches and snacks.
- UVA/VT Northern VA campus located at:
- 7054 Haycock Road, Falls Church, VA 22043
- Map to Location and Lodging: https://www.feacinstitute.org/201-where-we-teach-hotels
- Room number will be posted at the entrances of the Building.
- There are several hotels close by. One thing to keep in mind if you are NOT driving or renting a car. The Falls Church Metro Station (ORANGE LINE) is about 100 yards from the UVA Northern Campus. So as long as the hotel you pick is close to an ORANGE LINE Metro Station, you can take the Metro each day to Falls Church, walk 100 yards uphill and to the right to the clearly visible UVA building.
- If you are driving, there is plenty parking at UVA available for you at a cost of $4.50 all day. To get there make a left left from Haycock Road at the traffic light (coming from Route 7). At the stop sign (30 yards) do not turn right or you end up at the Metro Station but continue straight as if you are going to the new Metro garage down on the right. Actually you can see the Parking lot you are going to on the left at the stop sign but there is a chain across the entrance. You can not enter there. About 100 yards after the stop sign you need to turn left into the UVA/VT parking lot (NOT THE METRO GARAGE BUILDING ON THE RIGHT) and drive all the way up to the UVA Brick Building.
- CEA BLACK BELT Completion: If you are a current ACEA who previously took our Green Belt program, and would like to complete your CEA Black Belt, you are eligible for 50% off the CEA course. Register for the CEA Black Belt course and use Discount Code: BBCOMPLETE upon checkout.
- Any student interested in staying in the current session, but upgrading their registration to the next level (i.e.: upgrade from 3-Day to 5-Day, or from 5-Day to ACEA, or ACEA to CEA, etc), please contact us, or tell one of our faculty on site that you would like to upgrade. We will upgrade you and bill you the difference.
- All discounts may not be combined with any other discounts or offers.
- We accept all major credit cards
- Purchase Orders or Government form SF-182: Use "Pay Later" option upon checkout and select "Purchase Order," or "Invoice Me."
- Need to split up your payment for fiscal year considerations? No problem! Just contact us to make arrangements (payments must be made by your organization).
- We start every day at 8:00 AM and will finish at about 4:30 PM.
- All class materials will be available for download from our Virtual University. Each student will receive access roughly 1 week prior to course start.
- There is wireless internet connection available the class - please refrain from surfing during class sessions
- Dress is casual.
- Lunch: restaurants are within walking distance and guidance will be provided. There are several choices directly across the street (i.e.: Indian, Starbucks, Baja Fresh, Subway etc.) There is also an eating area on the first floor by the elevators. There is a microwave there and vending machines that include coffee, cold drinks, sandwiches and snacks.
- All confirmed registrations must be paid in advance.
- Special arrangements can be made for select government agencies. Please contact us for these special arrangements.
- All early bird registrations must be paid by the cut off date, or else invoice will be adjusted to regular price.
- You can register for any course or seminar by clicking the "register" button or "view all events" button. All payments made on-line are to be made in USD.
- Registrations are transferable within your organization (to a colleague) on request until 2 days before the event date.
- Confirmation of registrations will be subject to availability and timely receipt of payment.
- Prices stated here include tax. Import duties and/or local taxes/GST/VAT, if applicable, are NOT INCLUDED in prices and must be borne by the registrant.
- Registrations may also be transferred to a future course date if student are unable to attend.
- Seating will be on a first-come, first-served basis.
- For cancellation, please refer to the "Cancellation Policy" section below.
- Registration allows us to use the name of your organization in our future marketing activities as our customer.
- The following cancellation fees apply for cancellation of registrations received in writing via fax, email or phone:
- 25 days prior to the scheduled date: 10% of total the registration fee will be levied to cover administration costs. In addition, a refund charge of $25 USD is also applicable.
- 15 days prior to the scheduled date: 20% of total the registration fee will be levied to cover administration costs. In addition, a refund charge of $25 USD is also applicable.
- 5 days prior to the scheduled date: no refund of monies paid.
- Registrations are transferrable within your organization (to a colleague) on request until 2 days before the event date.
- Registrations may also be transferred to a future course date if student are unable to attend.
Note: the above cancellation policy is applicable for confirmed but unpaid registrations as well. There will be NO exceptions to this policy for any reason.
The FEAC Institute reserves the right to postpone or cancel an event, to change the location of an event. In the event that the FEAC Institute postpones a conference, delegate payments at the postponement date will be credited towards the rescheduled date. If the delegate is unable to attend the rescheduled event, the delegate will receive 100% credit representing payments made towards a future FEAC Institute events or you may send a replacement. No refunds will be available for cancellations or postponements.
The FEAC Institute is not responsible for any loss or damage as a result of substitution, alteration, postponement, or cancellation of an event due to causes beyond its control including without limitation, acts of God, natural disasters, sabotage, accident, trade or industrial disputes, terrorism or hostilities.